- Single room supplement CAD $215
- Prices are per person based on double occupancy, 5% GST will be added, all transactions are in Canadian dollars
- ConfirmedNLR 01/2019Jul 19 2019 to Jul 30 2019Available Spaces:5
- NLR 02/2019Aug 9 2019 to Aug 20 2019
We greet you at the airport and transfer you to the Hotel in downtown Whitehorse. In the evening your guide will meet with you and explain the details and getting prepared for canoeing the Liard River. Of course, he will advise /assist you packing your dry bags.
Today we'll fly by float plane to the headwaters of the Liard River. This flight offers incredible views of the Teslin and Nisutlin Rivers and the various mountain ranges in between. We'll set up our first camp on the shores of Caribou Lakes - a great spot for exploring the surrounding lake system. You will have no problems falling asleep in this quiet wilderness after such an exciting day.
Days 3 to 10
We'll practice and play around on the lakes at the headwaters of the Liard River for a full day before setting out on our river adventure. The Caribou Lakes have many Northern Pike and in the connecting river we'll fish for Arctic Grayling and Dolly Varden. The first day we'll paddle down a small creek. Depending on the water level, we may have to line our canoes. Once we are on the Liard River, the increased water flow will add momentum to our paddling experience. We will not encounter rapids or portages, but we will have to be alert for sweepers, sleepers, log jams or unexpected gravel bars at all times. This river is seldom traveled and therefore our chances of seeing wildlife are very good. We'll look for moose, grizzly and black bear, Dall sheep and beaver. We'll also see many birds such as eagles, mergansers, geese, various ducks and shore birds. Weather permitting; we'll climb a mountain to enjoy the unsurpassed views taking in the whole Liard River valley with vistas in every direction.
Our last day on the river brings us to the small native settlement of Upper Liard and the bridge of the Alaska Highway, about10 kilometers from Watson Lake. Here our canoe trip ends and we'll load up the waiting van. In the afternoon we'll drive back to Whitehorse (440 Km, 275 miles) and you'll stay one more night at the hotel in the heart of town.
Today we'll make sure you will be on time at the airport for your flight home
- Airport transfers in Whitehorse;
- All transfers and transportation according itinerary
- Flight to Caribou Lakes by float plane
- 2 nights’ accommodation in hotel;
- All other nights during canoeing in 2 person tents;
- All meals and non-alcoholic beverages during canoe trip;
- All canoe equipment (canoe, life vest, paddle, watertight barrell
- All camping equipment (stove, pots & pans, dishes, tents etc. (except for sleeping bag & sleeping pad)
- Emergency equipment (first aid kit, throw bags, bear spray, satellite phone).
- Fees and licenses;
- Meals and beverages in hotels and restaurants;
- Sleeping bag & sleeping pad
- Trip cancellation & medical insurance: We strongly recommend you purchase adequate insurance coverage at the time of booking. Your policy should cover injury, illness or death, trip cancellation, emergency medical, search & rescue, flight accident, travel accident, loss of baggage and personal effects
- Liard River has no rapids, but be aware this is a wild river in a remote wilderness. Some canoeing skill is requiered to navigate the tight passages and log piles.
- You will be required to sign a 'release of claims and waiver of liability' form prior to the departure of this tour.