LIARD RIVER | fly-in canoe adventure
- Single room supplement: CAD $375 (hotel & tent)
- Prices are per person based on double occupancy, 5% GST will be added, all transactions are in Canadian dollars
- NLR 01/2021Jul 11 2021 to Jul 22 2021
- NLR 02/2021Aug 8 2021 to Aug 19 2021
Day 1 | WHITEHORSE
Welcome to Whitehorse! Upon arrival you will make your way to your downtown Whitehorse hotel, and you may have time to explore the shops on Main Street. At 6.00 PM your guide will meet you at your hotel to explain the details and prepare you for this backpacking expedition. Of course, he/she will advise and assist you packing your backpack.
Day 2 | THE ADVENTURE BEGINS
Today we'll fly by float plane to the headwaters of the Liard River. This flight offers incredible views of the Teslin and Nisutlin Rivers and the various mountain ranges in between. We'll set up our first camp on the shores of Caribou Lakes - a great spot for exploring the surrounding lake system.
Days 3 -10 | LIARD RIVER
We'll practice our paddling and play around on the lakes at the headwaters of the Liard River for a full day before setting out on our river adventure. The Caribou Lakes have many Northern Pike and in the connecting river we'll fish for Arctic Grayling and Dolly Varden. The first day we'll paddle down a small creek. Depending on the water level, we may have to line our canoes. Once we are on the Liard River, the increased water flow will add momentum to our paddling experience. We will not encounter rapids or portages, but we will have to be alert for sweepers, sleepers, log jams or unexpected gravel bars at all times. This river is seldom travelled and therefore our chances of seeing wildlife are very good. We'll look for moose, grizzly and black bear, Dall’s sheep and beaver. We'll also see many birds such as eagles, mergansers, geese, various ducks and shore birds. Weather permitting we'll climb a mountain to enjoy the unsurpassed views taking in the whole Liard River valley with vistas in every direction. You will learn about wilderness camping and travel with minimal impact on nature (leave no trace hiking/camping).
Day 11 | WHITEHORSE
Our last day on the river brings us to the small native settlement of Upper Liard and the bridge of the Alaska Highway, about 10 kilometres from Watson Lake. Here our canoe trip ends and we'll load up the waiting van. In the afternoon we'll drive back to Whitehorse (440 km/275 miles). You'll stay one more night at the hotel where a hot shower and a comfortable bed await you.
Day 12 | DEPARTURE
Transfer to the airport for your flight home, or you continue your travels on your own.
- Airport transfer in Whitehorse;
- Transportation as per itinerary;
- Flight to Caribou Lakes by float plane;
- 2 Nights hotel accommodation in Whitehorse;
- Meals on the river incl. non-alcoholic beverages;
- All camping and canoeing equipment: canoes, paddles, PFD, watertight barrel or dry bag, tent, dishes, cutlery etc., EXCEPT sleeping bag and pad;
- Emergency equipment such as throw bags, bear spray, satellite phone and GPS;
- Licensed and experienced wilderness guide.
- Meals and beverages in hotels and restaurants;
- Sleeping bag and sleeping pad;
- Trip cancellation and medical insurance: We strongly recommend you purchase adequate insurance coverage at the time of booking. Your policy should cover injury, illness or death, trip cancellation, emergency medical, search & rescue, flight accident, travel accident, loss of baggage and personal effects.
- For this tour you should be in good health and able to paddle four to six hours a day on the river.
- There are some small rapids, but no portages on the Liard River (class 1 to 2).
- This trip is well suited for people with some paddling skills. No prior wilderness experience is necessary.
- Our hikes are done with light day-packs. However, there are no trails so these hikes can be rather challenging. Bring sturdy and well broken-in hiking footwear! You'll be rewarded with splendid views and a great feeling of achievement!
- You'll be required to sign a "release of claims and waiver of liability" form prior to the departure of this tour.