DONJEK GLACIER backpacking expedition
- Single room supplement: CAD $375 (hotel & tent)
- Price is per person based on double occupancy.
- All transactions are in Canadian dollars. 5% GST will be added,
- NDR 01/2021Jul 27 2021 to Aug 8 2021
- NDR 02/2021Aug 19 2021 to Aug 30 2021
Day 1 | WHITEHORSE
Welcome to Whitehorse! Upon arrival you will make your way to your downtown Whitehorse hotel, and you may have time to explore the shops on Main Street. At 6.00 PM your guide will meet you at your hotel to explain the details and prepare you for this backpacking expedition. Of course, he/she will advise and assist with packing your backpack.
Day 2 | HAINES JUNCTION
In the morning we drive out to Kluane National Park (2.5 hours). First, we stop at the Haines Junction Visitor Centre to get our backcountry permits at Parks Canada. In the afternoon we fly from Haines Junction to the starting point of your great Donjek adventure. Spend overnight on the trail.
Day 3 -10 | DONJEK ROUTE
You will be hiking the Donjek Route accompanied by our experienced guide. You will explore this remote route and its surrounding alpine areas, learn about wilderness camping and travel with minimal impact on nature (leave no trace hiking/camping).
Day 12 | DEPARTURE
Transfer to the airport for your flight home, or continue your travels on your own.
- All transfers and transportation according to itinerary;
- Flight from Haines Junction to lake in Kluane National Park;
- 2 Nights accommodation in hotel in Whitehorse;
- All other nights during our backcountry trip in 2-person tents;
- All meals and non-alcoholic beverages during backpacking;
- All equipment such as stove, dishes, tents etc. except for sleeping bag and sleeping pad;
- Safety equipment (bear-proof food barrels, bear spray, satellite phone, SPOT, first aid kit);
- Fees and licenses;
- Parks Canada licensed guide.
- Meals and beverages in hotels and restaurants;
- Sleeping bag and sleeping pad;
- Trip cancellation and medical insurance: We strongly recommend you purchase adequate insurance coverage at the time of booking. Your policy should cover injury, illness or death, trip cancellation, emergency medical, search & rescue, flight accident, travel accident, loss of baggage and personal effects.
- This backpacking expedition is for very experienced backpackers only!
- During our Donjek hiking expedition everyone must carry part of the load, approximately 18 kg (40 lbs). This includes your own gear, some camping gear and a portion of the food. We will carry the bare minimum and safely store your other belongings in Whitehorse.
- For this trip you must be in excellent health and physical condition, as this route is very difficult and challenging.
- This trip requires hiking experience. Although you can rely on our guide for route-finding, map and compass skills and creek/river crossings, we will encounter fast rivers and creeks, rock fall and difficult terrain. Weather conditions may change dramatically and even August can already be quite cold.
- All participants must prepare their personal gear for rapidly changing weather, steep, rugged terrain and cold, swift flowing streams. Please follow our ‘Recommended Equipment List’ when preparing for this trip, but most important items include sturdy, well-broken-in hiking boots, gaiters, creek-crossing footwear and a hiking pole (useful for creek crossings).
- On this trip there is a possibility that there may be last-minute changes to the itinerary due to the weather, park regulations or other reasons. We'll do our best to provide an alternate program.
- There is a good chance we will see grizzly bears on this route. It's of the utmost importance for your and the bear's safety that you comply with our guide's bear encounter procedures.
- You will be required to sign a 'release of claims and waiver of liability' form prior to the departure of this tour.